Let’s applaud our heroes !!
This is remind you to get going with making nominations for the BATCA Community Awards 2023. Please help honour the many amazing people around who give their time and talents unstintingly to serve others.
Celebration evening on Thursday 16th March
We’ll celebrate our heroes when the awards are presented at an event with food and entertainment open to all from 7-9.30pm on Thursday 16th March (NOT 15th March as previously advertised). Details of venue and how to book will follow.
Closing date for nominations is TUESDAY 14TH FEBRUARY 2023
Nominations are open until 14th February. Please read the information below, and make your nomination at: https://forms.gle/7vKBk25Gjps53v5v5
BATCA is delighted to announce the launch of the BATCA Community Awards 2023.
- Please nominate your community hero using the link below.
- We plan to present the awards at a live event open to all at 7pm on Thursday 15th March (venue tbc).
The aim of the Awards is to recognise the volunteers who do amazing work to serve our community and its people. They are a much cherished part of local life. Please give the Awards your support.
- Has someone made a difference in our Tooting and Balham community that deserves recognition?
- Do you know a person or an organisation that goes the extra mile for others?
If so, think about nominating them through the link above.
Who can be nominated?
- Anyone of any age and background is eligible
- Any field of activity counts- whether helping neighbours, looking after the less fortunate, being a mover and shaker in community group or faith body.
- What matters is sustained effort that makes a real difference to others’ lives.
- There are awards for teams and individuals
- Nominations for people who serve modestly with little recognition, and nominations for young people are especially welcome
- Previous award recipients include those supporting refugees and the elderly, community gardeners, shopkeepers who look after their neighbours, community artists, advocates for women’s rights, people running lunch clubs for the elderly, heroic fundraisers for good causes, those running food banks…so nominate your own hero!
- Although primarily for volunteers, heroes in the workplace can also be nominated
Nominations will be assessed by a panel of independent judges.
This year there will be three categories, i) Promoting sustainability and combatting climate change, (ii) Fighting poverty and social exclusion and (iii) General nominations, covering all other fields of activity.
Promoting sustainability and the fight against climate change
Activities to promote sustainability and contribute to tackling climate change. For example / leading or helping with initiatives to raise awareness of climate change and how to tackle it / working to increase biodiversity/ tree planting/ litter picking/ promoting a sustainable lifestyle/ promoting walking, cycling and safer, less polluted streets /caring for our green open spaces/ leading recycling and reuse schemes
Fighting poverty and social exclusion
Activities that help those impacted by the cost of living crisis or who face social exclusion For example running or helping at advice schemes for those facing crippling energy costs or food banks or homeless drop ins, giving quiet support to frail or housebound neighbours, helping disabled people take part in activities they would otherwise be unable to access.
Any activity involving service to others that doesn’t fall into the categories above. Anything that brings benefits to neighbours and/or the community counts. For example simple sustained acts of kindness that don’t fit any pigeon hole/ strengthening our community through reaching out to and/or bringing together people from diverse walks of life/ boosting others’ life chances by passing on skills eg cooking, crafts.
Please note these examples are not exhaustive – just a few illustrations. The grouping of nominations and final award categories are at the discretion of the judging panel and may be subject to change.
BATCA COMMUNITY HEROES AWARDS EVENING
7pm Thursday 15th March
This will be a great community celebration. More information, including on the venue and how to book, will be provided in due course.
How can I find out more?
Contact Kate Allan (Secretary) at email@example.com, or 07966 690308
or Kitty Grant at firstname.lastname@example.org